1951-1965On Sunday October 28, 1951, the dedication of the new two-story, red-brick building was celebrated. The Ninth Avenue School opened its doors as a consolidated school for the Black American students of Henderson, Polk and Transylvania Counties. It served as a union school with elementary classes on the first floor and high school students on the second. While sometimes disadvantaged in resources, the caring spirit of the staff and parents gave the students a family-like learning institution that pushed all to be their best. The Ninth Avenue Tigers in their blue and gold uniforms were well known throughout the area. The principals were John Marable, Cedric Jones, William Gordon, J.R. Wright and Leon H. Anderson. Integration of the local public schools occurred in 1965 and the last commencement was held on May 27, 1965. The school building still stands facing Prince Street as part of Hendersonville Middle School.
|Placed By||Senior Girl Scout Troop 404, 6th & 9th Avenue Alumni Committee and Hendersonville City Council|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 6th, 2019 at 11:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 367294 N 3908994|
|Decimal Degrees||35.31536667, -82.45985000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 35° 18.922', W 82° 27.591'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||35° 18' 55.32" N, 82° 27' 35.46" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near , ,|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.