The Royal Deux-Ponts was a German-speaking infantry regiment in the French Expeditionary Force under the Comte de Rochambeau. Rochambeau's forces embarked from France in March 1780, and arrived in Newport, Rhode Island, in July. The regiment was commanded by Christian von Forbach, eldest son of Christian IV, Duke of Zweibrucken ("Two Bridges"). Its soldiers were recruited primarily in the Duchy of Zweibrucken. En route to, and from, the siege of Yorktown in October 1781, the Regiment marched through Delaware, passing over Cooch's Bridge in September 1781, and again in August 1782,
This plaque is funded by a grant from the Delaware Humanities, a state program of the National Endowment for the Humanities.