L'Église / The Church

L'Église / The Church (HM2LDW)

Location:
Buy flags at Flagstore.com!

° ', ° '

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 3 views
Inscription
 Français:
La paroisse Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours est la première paroisse de l'Outaouais. Son érection canonique remonte à 1831 ce qui explique qu'elle a été rattachée successivement à quatre diocèses différents : Québec, Montréal, Ottawa et Gatineau. C'est aussi la paroisse mère de la Petite-Nation de laquelle toutes les autres paroisses ont été détachées.
L'église actuelle est la troisième de la paroisse Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours. Elle est construite par l'abbé Télesphore Allard curé de Montebello de 1892 à 1902. L'architecte choisi est M. Napoléon Bourassa, domicilié dans la paroisse. Le contrat est accordé en novembre 1894, pour la somme de 19 500.00$ et les travaux commencent au printemps suivant. Le plan au sol reproduit la croix latine. Les plafonds sont en bois et les murs en plâtre. On y retrouve un orgue Casavant de 1904, restauré au début des années 1990.
La qualité de la pierre du mur de façade est remarquable. Elle a été extraite d'une carrière de la région. C'est également la même pierre qui a été utilisée pour la construction du presbytère en 1937-1938 par le curé Chamberland, curé de Montebello



de 1902 à 1943. L'église est agrandie en 1932 pour en augmenter la capacité, mais ce sont surtout les transformations du début des années cinquante qui modifient l'aspect intérieur de cette église. Le curé Brosseau, à l'encontre de la volonté des marguilliers, entreprend des travaux qui vont modifier le caractère original de cette œuvre et la marque architecturale que Napoléon Bourassa lui avait donnée. C'est la seule église, en Outaouais, où l'on retrouve une chapelle funéraire. Le curé Chamberland y est inhumé. La chapelle se trouve dans le transept est de l'église. Une exposition de photos, dans l'église, illustre la vision de l'architecte Bourassa.
Cet ensemble, église et presbytère, est cité immeuble patrimonial. La protection s'applique à l'enveloppe extérieure des bâtiments.

English:
The Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours parish was the first parish in the Outaouais region. Its canonical establishment dates back to 1831 which explains why it was attached to four different dioceses: Quebec, Montreal, Ottawa and Gatineau. It was also the mother parish of the Petite-Nation from which all other parishes were detached.
The current church is the third of the Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours parish. It was built by Abbot Télesphore Allard, ninth priest of Montebello between 1892 and 1902. The chosen architect was Napoléon Bourassa, who lived



in the parish. The contract was granted in November 1894 for $19,500 and the work started the following spring. The ground plan reproduced the Latin cross. The ceilings were made of wood and the walls were made of plaster. There is a 1904 Casavant organ which was restored in the early 1990s.
The quality of the stone wall front is remarkable. The stone was quarried in the region. It is also the same that was used for the construction of the rectory by Father Chamberland in 1937-38, who was the tenth priest of Montebello from 1902 to 1943. The church expanded in 1932 to increase its capacity, but it was mainly only the renovations of the early fifties that altered the interior of the church. Father Brosseau, the 11th priest of Montebello from 1943 to 1957, against the will of the church wardens, undertook work to change the original character of the church which had been crafted by Napoléon Bourassa. It is the only church in the Outaouais region where you can find a funeral chapel. Father Chamberland is buried there. The chapel is found in the eastern transept of the church. In the church, a photo exhibition shows Bourassa's vision.
The church and the rectory were recognized as heritage buildings specifically for their external structure.
Details
HM NumberHM2LDW
Tags
Year Placed2006
Placed BySociété historique Louis-Joseph-Papineau, Montebello
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Tuesday, October 1st, 2019 at 11:01pm PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)31N E 166021 N 0
Decimal Degrees0.00000000, 0.00000000
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling West
Closest Postal AddressAt or near , ,
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. What country is the marker located in?
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. What historical period does the marker represent?
  4. What historical place does the marker represent?
  5. What type of marker is it?
  6. What class is the marker?
  7. What style is the marker?
  8. Does the marker have a number?
  9. This marker needs at least one picture.
  10. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  11. Is the marker in the median?