San Jacinto StreetSan Jacinto Street received its name from the battle fought on April 21, 1836, alongside the San Jacinto River, where the Texans won their independence from Mexico. This street was not only a major commercial artery, but it also became the location of important government buildings in the twentieth century.
Courthouse Square, a block designated on Houston's original plan for government activities, is located just north of Texas Avenue. Five structures have occupied the site since 1837 when Houston was named as the seat of government for Harris County. This domed, classical building was constructed on the square in 1911 and has been used continuously as a Harris County Courthouse.Photo: Houston Metropolitan Research Center, Houston Public LibraryIn 1911 the United States government erected a new post office building on San Jacinto Street just south of Texas Avenue. Upon its completion thousands of Houstonians flocked to an open house to view the elegant limestone-faced building which contained the latest in mail-sorting equipment. Although a new central post office was erected at a different location in 1962, this building has remained in use by the federal government. Photo: Houston Metropolitan Research Center, Houston Public Library