A Lighthouse is Born / La Naissance du Phare

A Lighthouse is Born / La Naissance du Phare (HM2LAZ)

Location:
Buy flags at Flagstore.com!

N 46° 3.002', W 63° 2.38'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 2 views
Inscription
the petitions. Funds were set aside, and a survey team was formed, which featured a number of prominent shareholders. Construction of a round lighthouse, of stone and brick, began in the summer according to plans drawn up by Isaac Smith; Richard Walsh was the successful contractor. When completed, it stood 60 ft. high, and in December was lit for the first time.
· Considered one of Prince Edward Island's premiere architects, Isaac Smith was also responsible for such architectural masterpieces as Government House (Fanningbank), built in 1834, and the Colonial Building (Province House), completed in 1847.
· Sir Henry Vere Huntley was Prince Edward Island's ninth Governor, serving from 1841-1847.
· The Islander of April 5, 1845, published an account of the survey party's excursion to Point Prim. Note the presence of George Coles, who would go on to become a Father of Confederation.
· William Douse, Esq. (1800-1864). Politician, land agent for Lord Selkirk, proprietor, shipbuilder and master, he was known for his ability to obtain local improvements for his district and for having the largest funeral in Colonial history.
Français:
En dépit de son succès initial, la Prince Edward Island Steam Navigation Company et son navire, le St. George, ont connu des difficultés. Même avec l'investissement du Nouveau-Brunswick



et de la Nouvelle-Écosse, les navires à vapeur coûtaient cher d'entretien et l'entreprise fonctionnait continuellement à perte. Mais elle réussissait quand même à faire sentir sa présence.
En 1845, deux pétitions ont été présentées devant le gouvernement. Signées par les dirigeants et les actionnaires de la Steam Navigation Company, ces pétitions exigeaient la construction d'un phare sur la pointe Prim afin de protéger les déplacements du St. George, de même que les « vies et les biens » qu'il transportait. On y retrouvait un rapport adressé au Gouverneur Henry Vere Huntley, contenant des estimés des matériaux et fournitures nécessaires à ce phare. Le rapport était signé par quatre dirigeants de l'entreprise, qui avaient reçu l'aide de Samuel Cunard, alors commissaire aux phares de la Nouvelle-Écosse, de même que celle de l'architecte de renom Isaac Smith, qui y avait ajouté un concept.
L'important investissement du gouvernement dans l'entreprise et la présence de ce rapport faisaient en sorte que les pétitions ne pouvaient pas être ignorées. Des fonds furent mis en réserve et on assembla une équipe d'arpentage, qui comptait quelques actionnaires bien en vue. La construction d'un phare circulaire fait de pierre et de brique débuta à l'été, conformément aux plans dessinés par Isaac Smith; Richard Walsh a été choisi comme entrepreneur. Une fois complété,



le phare mesurait 18 m (60 pi) de hauteur et en décembre, on a allumé son feu pour la première fois.

· Considéré comme un des meilleurs architectes de l'île-du-Prince-Édouard, Isaac Smith a aussi créé des chefs-d'œuvre architecturaux comme Government House (Fanningbank), construit en 1834, et l'édifice Colonial Building (Province House), complété en 1847.
· Sir Henry Vere Huntley était le 9e gouverneur de l'Île-du-Prince-Édouard. Il a été en poste de 1841 à 1847.
· Dans le Islander du 5 avril 1845, on retrouve un compte-rendu de l'excursion de l'équipe d'arpentage à la pointe Prim. Remarquez la présence de George Coles, qui deviendra un des Pères de la Confédération.
· William Douse, Esq. (1800-1864). Politicien, agent des terres de Lord Selkirk, propriétaire foncier, constructeur de navire et armateur, Douse était connu pour sa capacité à obtenir des améliorations locales dans son district et pour avoir eu droit aux plus imposantes funérailles de toute l'histoire de la Colonie.
Details
HM NumberHM2LAZ
Tags
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Sunday, September 29th, 2019 at 11:02am PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)20T E 496931 N 5099607
Decimal Degrees46.05003333, -63.03966667
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 46° 3.002', W 63° 2.38'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds46° 3' 0.11999999999999" N, 63° 2' 22.8" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Closest Postal AddressAt or near , ,
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. What country is the marker located in?
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. What historical period does the marker represent?
  4. What historical place does the marker represent?
  5. What type of marker is it?
  6. What class is the marker?
  7. What style is the marker?
  8. Does the marker have a number?
  9. What year was the marker erected?
  10. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  11. This marker needs at least one picture.
  12. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  13. Is the marker in the median?