In 1853, Norwegian immigrants to this area, organized the Norwegian Evangelical Church of Roche-a-Cri, in 1860. A log church was constructed one mile south of this location. It was destroyed by fire in 1866. A frame church was then erected on this site in 1868 but was destroyed by a cyclone in 1872.
With faith undaunted, a larger church was built on this site in 1875, known as the "West Church," it served as the congregation spiritual home for 53 years, until it was struck by lightning and burned to the ground on July 12, 1928.
In 1919, the "West Church" had joined with two other area Lutheran congregations to form a united parish called "Trinity Lutheran Church." In 1921, one of the church buildings was donated to Norwegian Lutherans forming a church in Adams. Following the West Church fire of 1928, the parish members consolidated at the remaining church building in Arkdale.
This plaque is erected in praise to God and in memory of the Saints who rest here.