This is an RS-3 diesel-electric locomotive built by Alco in Schenectady as 1 of 1,370 RS-3's from May 1950 through August 1956. This locomotive was designed and used as roadswitcher.
The RS-3 is powered by a 1,600 horsepower twelve cylinder, V type, four cycle, turbosupercharged 244 engine. This engine has nine inch cylinders with a ten and a half inch stroke. Although most Alco
diesel engines including the 531, 539, and the 251 were built in Auburn, NY, the RS-3's 244 engine was built in Alco's Schenectady plant