— John Wilkes Booth - Escape of an Assassin —This building in the Bryantown Tavern, constructed about 1815. On April 15, 1865, the morning after President Lincoln's assassination, Lt. David D. Dana made it his headquarters while pursuing John Wilkes Booth, the assassin, with a detachment of the 13th New York Cavalry. Unknown to Dana, Booth was only four miles north at the home of Dr. Samuel A. Mudd, who treated Booth's broken leg. Though Booth had visited Bryantown several times in 1864, he did not pass through here during his escape, but swung east after leaving Mudd's house. Col. Henry H. Wells, in overall command of the pursuing forces, soon occupied the tavern, and it later served briefly as the headquarters of Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock, who arrived on April 27. In the interim, Mudd and others were brought here for questioning, and several (including the doctor) remained here before they were transferred to jail in Washington.
|Series||This marker is part of the Maryland Civil War Trails series|
|Placed By||Maryland Civil War Trails|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 11th, 2014 at 9:33am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 339421 N 4268993|
|Decimal Degrees||38.55488333, -76.84286667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 33.293', W 76° 50.572'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 33' 17.58" N, 76° 50' 34.32" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 13490 Trotter Rd, Bryantown MD 20617, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.