Brandywine Park was created more than a century ago and has remained a quiet refuge in the heart of Wilmington ever since.
In 1881, local businessman William Poole Bancroft recognized that the growing city of Wilmington had no public open spaces. He helped to buy a mile of land along the Brandywine River for a park. Bancroft believed in well-planned communities that balanced nature with development. With the help of Frederick Law Olmstead, the respected designer of New York's Central Park, a site surrounded by the growing industrial city, was transformed into a park that offered tree shaded walks and wooded slopes for the public to enjoy.
Brandywine Park, now part of the Wilmington State Parks, has seen many changes since it opened in 1883. Several bridges, a rose garden, zoo, a fountain, stadium and monuments, have added to the park's natural attractions. Looking to the future in this new century, Brandywine Park remains what it has been for more than a hundred years—a place for quiet memories.