Problems with transporting farm crops to market, along with the growing importance of rail transportation were major factors that prompted area businessmen to organize the Central and Montgomery (C&M) Railroad in 1877. Completed by 1880, the C&M consisted of a 25-mile track connecting Montgomery with the Houston & Texas Central Railroad at Navasota.
A combined passenger and freight station constructed near this site was often the center of social activity. After the county seat was moved from Montgomery in 1889, a small jail, moved to the railroad yard, held prisoners awaiting transportation.
In 1882 the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad purchased the C&M, thus acquiring access to the prized timber trade of East Texas. By extending the rails east and west, this line became the Beaumont-Somerville Branch of the Santa Fe. The eastern extension joined the original C&M line a mile west of town at a point that became known as "The Junction." Travel delays resulted from trains backing to or from the depot to the main line.
Passenger service was discontinued in 1951. Later, the mile of railroad track from "The Junction" to the depot in Montgomery was removed.