Methodist circuit riders came out of Mississippi into this areaTop PlaqueMethodist Historic Site.First Lower PlaqueText Plaque given in memory of Charles F. Bean by his sisters Jean, Alice and Nell 1991.Second Lower PlaqueChurch sign Donated by Gwendolyn Case Gum and John N. Gum, Jr.In memory of her father Victor Kurzweg Case and her grandmother, Ethyl C. CaseNovember 27, 1994.
soon after the Louisiana Purchase of 1803. A Union church building was erected in 1841 on what is now the parking lot of the present Methodist Church. This church served Methodists, Presbyterians and Episcopalians until it burned in 1880.
The Reverend William Winans, a presiding elder of the Natchez District of the Mississippi Conference, chartered the Methodist Church on September 3, 1842. A parsonage was built in 1854 just north of the present church. One of Methodism's first in the state, it has since been demolished
The present sanctuary was built in 1884 and remodeled extensively in 1953. The Plaquemine church is significant because it has been a place of witness and worship for Methodist people since the early years of the 19th century and is the site of one of the first parsonages in Louisiana.