Established by the Good Shepherd Family Burial Society of Kenner, around 1860, by a group of African-American men for religious, benevolent and literary purposes. The organization was chartered on December 14, 1898. The present site was purchased on June 29, 1899, from Hanson City Land Company, Ltd.
A resolution adopted by the Kenner City Council on March 21, 1996, officially recognized the St. Rosalie, Love & Charity, and Belle Grove Cemeteries as historical landmarks. Many original Kenner settlers and prominent citizens have been interred in these cemeteries. Thus, these cemeteries have been preserved, in part, with community development block grant funds.