Established by the Love and Charity Benevolent Society in 1837, by a group of African-American men and women, for religious, benevolent and literary purposes. The organization was chartered on June 13, 1903. The present site was purchased on September 8, 1897, from Hanson City Land Company, Ltd.
A resolution adopted by the Kenner City Council on March 21, 1996, officially recognized the St. Rosalie, Love & Charity, and Belle Grove Cemeteries as historical landmarks. Many original Kenner settlers and prominent citizens have been interred in these cemeteries. Thus, these cemeteries have been preserved, in part, with community development block grant funds.