In commemoration of the saving of the
from the British, September 1777
Erected to the memory of
John Jacob Mickley
Commissary of Issues, and member of the General
Committee from Whitehall Township
Northampton County, Pennsylvania
who, under cover of darkness, and with his farm team,
hauled the Liberty Bell from Independence Hall,
Philadelphia, through the British lines to Bethlehem,
where the wagon broke down, September 23, 1777.
The bell was then transferred to Frederick Leiser's
wagon, and brought to Allentown, September 24, 1777.
It was placed beneath the floor of Zion's Reformed
Church, where it remained secreted for nearly a year.
This tablet is placed by the order of the Assembly of the
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, June 2, 1907, under the
auspices of the Pennsylvania Daughters of the American
Revolution, erected October 15, 1908.
Mrs. Alfred G. Saeger Chairman
Miss Minnie F. Mickley Secretary
of the John Jacob Mickley Memorial Committee
Appointed by Mrs. Allen P. Pearley, State Regent of Pennsylvania