Historical Point of ViewIn 1907, Guido Alexius and his sons Alfred, Cintio and John, founded Alexius Brothers and Company; and later his son Horace joined in the business. In 1915, this landmark establishment, originally a gym, was purchased. Later in the 20th century, Guido's grandsons G.C. and Haller Alexius operated the hardware store at this location until 1985. In addition, portions of the land were donated by the Alexius family for the construction of the Covington Trailhead.The Old Railroad Depot- The original depot faced New Hampshire Street with a passenger and freight terminal facing east. During the mid-1900s, the depot was moved one block to the present site (now a restaurant). The St. Tammany Special line left New Orleans at 4:30 p.m. and arrived in Covington at 6:15 p.m. It would leave Covington at 6:45 a.m. and arrive in New Orleans at 8:30 a.m. daily. This train was composed of elegant coaches and contained parlor buffet cars.
|Placed By||City of Covington|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 29th, 2018 at 8:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15R E 778764 N 3375299|
|Decimal Degrees||30.47765000, -90.09628333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 30° 28.659', W 90° 5.777'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||30° 28' 39.54" N, 90° 5' 46.62" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||985, 504|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 517 N New Hampshire St, Covington LA 70433, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.