Big Cottonwood Canyon TrailOn July 1, 1877, the Granite Ward of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was created. The residents of both the Granite and Butlerville communities were included. Since most of the people were settling near the mouth of the two canyons, a chapel was built halfway between the two towns. James Muir, William Thompson, and Andrew Hansen Sr. were the committee chosen to oversee the construction. Building began January 20, 1886, and was completed for dedication on July 1, 1892. Granite rock from Little Cottonwood Canyon was used to construct the chapel, which was oval-shaped and approximately 30 feet by 40 feet. The building was located at about 8600 South Wasatch Boulevard on the west side of the street. The location did not work out; the Granite Ward was divided on March 12, 1901, and the new Butler Ward was created. This left the Granite-Butler building vacant. Most of the stones used to build the building were eventually hauled away by residents in the area.
|Placed By||Cottonwood Heights Historic Committee|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Thursday, September 27th, 2018 at 5:03pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||12T E 432101 N 4497900|
|Decimal Degrees||40.62915000, -111.80285000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 37.749', W 111° 48.171'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 37' 44.94" N, 111° 48' 10.26" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||801, 435|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 6708 S Big Cottonwood Canyon Rd, Cottonwood Heights UT 84121, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.