Pennsylvania College of Technology History Trail Stop 10
—1914 · Centennial · 2014 —
Constructed in 2003
The closing of a factory adjacent to campus and the generosity of company executives led to the development of College Avenue Labs.
In 2001, Hon Industries Inc. offered Penn College a generous gift-purchase agreement after announcing plans to close its Williamsport factory. The College paid $750,000 for the transaction, valued at more than $3.4 million.
An extensive renovation of the factory led to the development of learning laboratories for programs related to manufacturing, collision repair, drafting, and engineering technologies.
Once a Furniture Factory
Hon Industries, one of the nation's largest manufacturers of office furniture, purchased the Williamsport factory, which now houses College Avenue Labs, in 1983.
Previously, the plant was in operation for many years as J. K. Rishel Furniture Company, known for producing high-grade office furniture since the turn of the 20th
The Hon factory in Williamsport was one of five factories that produced quality office furnishings, including pieces made for the White House, the Capitol, and embassies of the United States.
Inside College Avenue Labs (CAL)
· "Intelligent" large-group classroom
· Collision repair lab
· Automated manufacturing lab
[Marker timeline images, from left
· Extensive renovations converted a former furniture factory into state-of-the-art laboratories.
· The renovated facility was opened in 2003.
· Industry connections include a "Haas Technical Education Center" in automated manufacturing.
[School's centennial timeline]
1914 - Williamsport Area School District Adult Education
1941 - Williamsport Technical Institute
1965 - Williamsport Area Community College
1989 - Pennsylvania College of Technology