Pennsylvania College of Technology History Trail Stop 9
—1914 · Centennial · 2014 —
Constructed in 1999
Built by students in construction-related programs, the Field House is a practice and competition arena for the Penn College Wildcats athletic teams.
Home to various student activities and special campus and community functions, the Field House hosts a wide range of events from career fairs and open houses to dances and community fundraisers.
Photographs and banners of champion athletes and teams are featured inside the facility.
Like most of the campus, the land surrounding the Field House once was home to factories and warehouses, part of Williamsport's rich industrial heritage. From West Third Street south to the Susquehanna River, campus acreage once held a variety of companies that manufactured wood products, furniture, iron or steel products as well as salvage yards.
Today, the Field House and its adjacent athletic fields help to connect the instructional facilities at the heart of the campus with student residences at the Rose Street Commons apartment complex at the western perimeter of the campus.
Inside and Outside the Field House (FH)
· Athletic fields and tennis courts
· Intramurals and extramurals
· Special events
[Marker timeline images, from left to right]
· During the Williamsport Area Community College
era, the Lair was the center of student activities on campus.
· Among the athletes that use the Field House are national champion archers.
· The Wildcat has been the College's official mascot since the beginning of the athletics program at Williamsport Area Community College, a forerunner of Pennsylvania College of Technology.
[School's centennial timeline]
1914 - Williamsport Area School District Adult Education
1941 - Williamsport Technical Institute
1965 - Williamsport Area Community College
1989 - Pennsylvania College of Technology