Front(Continued on other side)
Lottie has the highest elevation in Baldwin County. A ridge forms a divide where waters to the east flow into Pensacola Bay and waters to the west flow into Mobile Bay. Pine Log Creek begins in Lottie. Pine Log Ditch, used to float logs for over 100 years, started in Lottie and ran to The Alabama River. Naturalist William Bartram, in 1775, followed the ridge path to Mobile, on part of County Road 47. This Indian trading path became part of the Federal Road of 1805 and was later part of the The Old Stage Road. The stage stopped in Lottie near The New Home Church. In July, 1813, Col. James Caller led a militia group to camp at Davy Tate's cowpens in Lottie to wait for reinforcements from Tensa. His band, 180 men strong, continued up the Federal Road for Burnt Corn Springs, then south on the Wolf Trail to the ford on Burnt Corn Creek for the first skirmish of the Creek Indian War.
(Continued from other side)
Turpenting, logging and farming was once the lifeblood of Lottie. W.M. Carney Mill Co. operated a camp and turpentine still at Redtown. The mill had a school, store, and church. Three logging railroads crossed Lottie. Richard Bailey (Dick) Padgett, who was Creek Indian and
English, was one of Lottie's first settlers. Pre-Lottie settlements included Carney, Langham, Magic City, Pine Log, Red Town, and Taitsville. The Lottie area was often called "Head of Pine Log." In 1903, a post office was established and one name was needed; Lottie Presley's name was selected from the teenage girls. The first postmaster was Robert Mansfield Chambless. Today, churches maintain the legacy of the community. Former residents return annually to homecoming events at Lottie churches and to visit the resting places of their ancestors at Lottie cemeteries.