The Hay Building was initially constructed in the Victorian architectural style in 1894 for the Dinkelspiel brothers, Emile (1852-1906) and Louis (1854-1906). Dinkelspiel Brothers operated as a "Store of Fashionable Merchandise" at ground level and a rooming house on the third floor until 1907. In 1908, the Haberfelde Furniture Company signed a five-year lease for the Dinkelspiel Building and Sigmund Wisekopf (1855- 1925) opened "The Hub" clothing store in the front corner of the building. In 1912, the Hay family purchased the building from the Dinkelspiels for $75,000, remodeled it in the Federalist architectural style, and converted the third floor into office space. The Hay Building is the oldest building in downtown Bakersfield to survive the earthquakes of 1952. The remodeled 1612 City Lofts opened in 2013, with a mixed-use building accommodating art galleries, retail businesses, and nine third-floor lofts.