Situated in the present county of Jackson was the mission of Nuestra Señora del Espiritu Santo de Zuñiga. Established by Joseph de Azlor, Marquis of Aguayo, and Father Fray Agustin Patron, O.F.M. in 1722 for the civilizing and Christianizing of the Karankawa, Cujane, Coco, Copane, and other Indian tribes under the protection of the Presidio de Nuestra Señora de Loreto. Both moved to Mission Valley on the Guadalupe River in 1726. Moved finally to Santa Dorotea, now Goliad near the San Antonio River in 1749.