These four sculptures stand in tribute to the role of public transportation in Williamsport's growth, economy and quality of life.
The Streetcar Era: 1865-1933
The first mode of public transportation in Williamsport was the streetcar, which served the community for almost 70 years.
Horse drawn streetcars were first introduced by Williamsport's leading industrialist, Peter Herdic, in 1865. The first sculpture depicts one of his original one-horse, 16 passenger streetcars.
Electrified streetcars were introduced in 1891, making Williamsport among the first cities to offer citizens this popular mode of transportation. The second sculpture shows an electric trolley operated by the Vallamont Traction Company.
The Motorbus Era:
1925 to the Present and the Future
As the last trolley rolled to a halt in 1933, a new era of public transit began. The bus continues to provide high quality, economical, and efficient transportation to the citizens of Williamsport today and in the future.
The third sculpture depicts passengers boarding a Williamsport Transportation Company bus in 1942.
In 1969 the City of Williamsport assumed responsibility for operating the bus system under the newly formed Bureau of Transportation. From 1980 to 1999, the system was known as "City Bus," as shown in the fourth
sculpture, and was renamed "River Valley Transit" with the opening of the Trade & Transit Centre.