These stone gateposts are remnants of the entrance gate into Greeley Camp 202, a World War II prisoner of war (POW) camp located directly north, housing approximately 3,000 German and Austrian prisoners.
This "small city" accommodated 3,600 people. Parallel 14-foot wire fences topped with barbed wire enclosed the 320-acre site. The camp was equipped with electricity, street lights, water, sewer, and a fire station. Buildings included an officers' club, laundry, motor pool, filling station, stables, kennels for 20 dogs, a quartermaster's unit, a 300-seat theater, library, classrooms, guardhouse, 60 prisoner barracks, 16 U.S. Army personnel barracks, water tower, jail, post exchange (store), woodworking shop, and a 150-bed hospital.
In early 1944 German and Austrian soldiers, many captured while serving under General Rommel in North Africa, arrived at Camp 202. Due to the wartime labor shortage most prisoners worked in the agricultural fields around Greeley.
When the camp closed in early 1946, prisoners returned to their homelands, and buildings were sold and moved. In 2008, a Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) road widening project threatened demolition of the gateposts. Working with Colorado Preservation, Inc., the City of Greeley; Historic Greeley, Inc.; and the Daughters of the American
Revolution, CDOT moved the gateposts approximately 1,730 feet to the west, installing them in the current permanent location in September 2009.
Top middle: World War II Prisoner of War Camp 202 - Greeley, Colorado: February 22, 1944 - This photograph shows the two stone gateposts holding up the columns that are attached to the sign arching over the entrance of the camp. Image courtesy of the City of Greeley Museums, ID# 2006.31.0001 .2B
Bottom right: Rows of Barracks Camp 202; Between 1943 and 1946 - Likely taken from a guard tower, this westward looking view of the camp shows rows of prisoner and U.S. Army personnel barracks. Along the street are shipping crates. Faintly in the background, the mountains can be seen. The checkered water tower is along the horizon with one guard tower visible to the right and a second guard tower in the horizon's center. Right of center is a smoke stack for one of the workshops. Image courtesy of the City of Greeley Museums, ID# 1976.83.0005
Middle right: Corner of 2nd Street and 3rd Avenue Camp 202 - Between 1943 and 1946
Three U.S. Army soldiers are seen here leaning on their army Jeep at the camp fire department; left to right: unknown man, George Watterburg, and Dave Foos. Image courtesy of the City of Greeley Museums, ID# 2006.47.0026