These two pioneer institutions, which began even before a town grew up here, were first housed in the same tiny, one-room building. The structure was erected in 1890 by local settlers when Westbrook was only a flag-stop on the Texas & Pacific Line.
Located on a four-acre plot, the single classroom had rough, wooden benches and, at the front, one long "recitation bench", where pupils sat to recite their lessons from memory in typical 19th Century style. The school "year" then lasted three to six months.
On Sundays this was the site of services for the Westbrook Baptist Church, organized 1890 with nine charter members, by the Rev. J.C. Burkett, Pastor of the Colorado (City) Church. Although sermons were given only once a month, Sunday school was held each week. Parishioners, who often lived miles away, would cook and pack basket lunches Saturday and spend all day Sunday at the church. The building was a social center for the widely scattered settlers.
In 1902, as population increased, a new church was erected north of the school yard; and in 1905 the town provided a modern, two-story school building. The old structure was sold to a farmer for use as a barn. Only the cemetery remains at the site today.