Arrival in Colorado River Valley of theRailroad made this "Cattle Capital of West Texas" in 1880s. Cattlemen Frank Byler, Clay Mann, Winfield Scott, C.C. Slaughter and others brought herds here early as 1877, when last of the buffalo were being exterminated. A Texas Ranger unit was stationed in area to guard against straggling Indians. After Texas & Pacific locators staked course through this valley, rancher George Waddell persuaded A.W. Dunn of Coleman to build a store here. Lumber came by wagon from Round Rock (about 300 mi. SE), and was sparingly used. Store had tarpaulin roof, dirt floor, and was opened in late summer 1880. Soon two saloons were also in business. Railroaders—including bridge crew of A.J. Coe—arrived in the fall. By April 16, 1881, when the Texas & Pacific initiated train service to this site, some 350 people lived here in tents and dugouts, and had a newly organized county government, a school, post office and newspaper. This was terminus for months, while river bridge was being built. Then and until late 80s, this was shipping point for such remote places as ranches of Charles Goodnight and the XIT, near present Amarillo. The T. & P. freighted in tons of windmills and barbed wire, shipped out thousands of cattle—giving this city renown.
|Placed By||State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 210.)|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Thursday, July 19th, 2018 at 4:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||14S E 324467 N 3584916|
|Decimal Degrees||32.38746667, -100.86611667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 23.248', W 100° 51.967'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 23' 14.88" N, 100° 51' 58.02" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 102 W Main St, Colorado City TX 79512, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.