Dr. Sophie Aberle, a noted anthropologist, lived in this adobe-style house. Named the "Measuring Lady" by the people she worked with, her research focused on Puebloan women's lives, including pregnancy, childbirth, childcare, diet, and healing. As superintendent of the United Pueblos Agency between 1935 and 1944, she implemented practices that led to better educational and medical programs in the pueblos.
Aberle and her husband, attorney William Brophy, purchased this house in the early 1950s and made numerous improvements to accommodate their professional lives. In 1990 the Petroglyph National Monument was established and Dr. Aberle sold her home to the National Park Service. Today, the original part of the house is the visitor area and conference room.
Aberle, the "Measuring Lady", (right) was often seen at the pueblos taking measurements of human physical features for her research in anthropology.
On July 11, 1996, (far right) the staff of Petroglyph National Monument celebrated Dr. Aberle's 100th birthday by inviting her back home.