Founded as a mission station in 1881 by The Rev. George W. Baines (1809-1882), a former President of Baylor University and in 1880s a Baptist State Convention agent. The Rev. Peter Turner, an Englishmen, organized the church in 1882. Building site was donated by U.S. Senator and ex-Governor of Georgia Joseph E. Brown, a Texas & Pacific Railroad investor, developer of Colorado townsite. A.W. Dunn, J.T. Hutchins, J.B. Putnam, Alf H.H. Tolar, and G.W. Waddell were church trustees.
The original small box structure was meeting place of all denominations until destroyed by tornado in May 1884. It was replaced by a similar frame building.
In 1890, Pastor J.C. Burkett reported 140 on roll. This church joined that year with other members of Sweetwater Baptist Association to implement charter for Simmons College (now Hardin-Simmons University).
In pastorate (1895) of The Rev. B.H. Carroll, Jr., a 4-room structure was erected. Classrooms and basement, added later, became emergency hospital for tornado victims on May 14, 1923. In 1924, this and neighboring county formed Mitchell-Scurry Baptist Association.
Present church was built in 1928; annex in 1961. Congregation has included many community leaders; it has been active in home and foreign mission fields.