Shippensburg Civil War TrailAfter the Confederate army took possession of Shippensburg on the afternoon of June 24, 1863, General Albert G. Jenkins established his headquarters here on the corner now occupied by the former First National Bank building. General Jenkins then met with a delegation of Shippensburg's leading men that likely included merchant-tailor John Bridges, merchant George H. Stewart, tanner William McLean, and hardware store owner John W. McPherson. Jenkins initially demanded payment of $1,800 to ensure the town's safety. When the local delegation responded that they could not raise that amount, an agreement was reached for the community to provide the Confederate soldiers and animals with food and feed. To fulfill the arrangement, the local women baked pies, cakes, and breads which they then placed here at the Square and which were delivered along with wagonloads of hay to the Confederate encampment at Indian Head (now Dykeman) Spring. No records remain indicating the exact quantity of baked goods and fodder the people of Shippensburg provided to safeguard their town.
|Placed By||Shippensburg- Historical Society, Borough Historical Architectural Review Board, Chamber of Commerce, University, et al|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Thursday, July 12th, 2018 at 7:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 284965 N 4436420|
|Decimal Degrees||40.05061667, -77.52088333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 3.037', W 77° 31.253'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 3' 2.22" N, 77° 31' 15.18" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling West|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 9 W King St, Shippensburg PA 17257, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.