Settlers began moving to this area, which they called Snow Hill, by the early 1840s. In 1852, local residents organized this congregation under the direction of the Rev. Samuel Morris. The first sanctuary, which also served as a community schoolhouse, was moved to this site about 1871. The land, including the adjacent cemetery, had been donated to the congregation the previous year by J. W. and Thurza Cason. Since before the Civil War, the Snow Hill Baptist Church has played a vital role in the development of the surrounding rural area.