Before 1830, Caddo Indians had campgrounds here around mineral springs flowing red, white, and blue waters. First home at future Mount Pleasant was built here in 1830s by Benjamin Gooch.
A health-recreational resort by 1895, springs area was site (1909-16) of the lavish Dellwood Hotel, built by the Red Mineral Springs Development Co., headed by Dr. T. M. Fleming. These steps are from Dellwood Hotel, which burned.
Favorite spot for Confederate conventions, political rallies, and other meetings, the site was acquired 1951 by city of Mount Pleasant, as Dellwood Park.