Windsor Battleﬁeld TourListed in the National Register of Historic Places, the church was begun when the 1828 Mississippi Legislature granted a charter of Incorporation to the "Presbyterian Church of Petit Gulf". Later in 1828, the Town of Rodney was incorporated, the community and church becoming known as Rodney, rather than Petit Gulf. Presbyterian activity in Rodney was apparent prior to erection of the present church structure in 1830-31. When Rev. John Hutchinson came in 1830 as supply minister for one year, there were at least two members and services were held in a barroom. The present brick church was dedicated to the worship of God on the first day of 1832. The dedication sermon was preached by Rev. Dr. Jeremiah Chamberlain, founder and president of Oakland College. According to tradition, one thousand silver dollars were cast into the mold of the church bell. The cemetery is located on the wooded bluff east of the church, and contains remains of Civil War trenches and graves of river travelers.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, July 8th, 2018 at 7:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15R E 670294 N 3526637|
|Decimal Degrees||31.86276667, -91.19990000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 31° 51.766', W 91° 11.994'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||31° 51' 45.96" N, 91° 11' 59.64" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near Muddy Bayou Rd, MS 39096, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.