Historic Rio Grande City

Historic Rio Grande City (HM291I)

Location: Rio Grande City, TX 78582 Starr County
Buy Texas State flags at Flagstore.com!
Country: United States of America
Buy United States of America flags at Flagstore.com!

N 26° 22.736', W 98° 49.243'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 41 views
Inscription
(side one - English)
Perhaps one of the oldest settlements in South Texas, Rio Grande City is located on lands once settled by Spanish colonizer José de Escandón in 1749.
The site was part of a ranching community known as "Rancho Carnestolendas" established in 1753 by Don Jose Antonio De La Garza Falcon. During the 1830's the ranch was under the ownerships of Don Francisco De La Garza Martinez a direct descendant of Garza Falcon.

In 1846 Henry Clay Davis a Kentuckian who came to the area as a volunteer with the Texas Forces married Maria Hilaria De La Garza the daughter of Don Francisco de la Garza Martinez.
As a precondition of that marriage Davis was instructed to settle on the north side of the river to oversee the operations of the ranch.
Two years later Davis designed the town as a river port with broad streets modeled after the capital city of Austin, Texas.


In 1848 Fort Ringgold was established and assured the town's growth and permanence and in 1849 the town received their first post office.
During the 19th century Rio Grande City had an active passenger and cargo ship trade with New Orleans and flourished as a cattle center.

As border disputes and racial tensions arose in the area they helped give rise to several incidents, one of which was the Juan Cortina



battle of 1859 in Rio Grande City, the Rio Grande City Riot of 1888 in which the Mexican population was pitted against the Anglo controlled sheriff's office, and yet in another incident members of the black Ninth United States Cavalry fired toward the town in 1899 amid reports of a civilian attack on the garrison.
(side two - Spanish)
La ciudad de Rio Grande es uno de los sitios mas antiguos del sur de Tejas. Esta situada en territorios originalmente establecidos en 1749 por el colonizador español Jose de Escandon.
El sitio forma parte de una comunidad ranchera llamada el Rancho Carnestolendas establecido en 1753 por Don Jose Antonio De la Garza Falcon.
El rancho fue poseido durante los años 1830 por Don Francisco de la Garza Martinez, descendiente de Garza Falcon.
El señor Henry Clay Davis del estado de Kentucky llego a esta area en 1846 como voluntario de las fuerzas tejanas. Contrajo matrimonio con Doña Maria Hilaria De la Garza, hija de Don Francisco De la Garza Martinez bajo la condicion de que establecerian su domicilio en la parte norte del Rio Bravo para operar y vigilar mejor esa parte del rancho. Dos años despues, el señor Davis diseño el pueblo de Rio Grande con calles anchas semejante a la ciudad de Austin, Texas.

En 1848, se establecio el fuerte Ringgold, asegurando el crecimiento del pueblo. En 1849, se establecio la primera



casa de correo. Durante el siglo XIX, la ciudad de Rio Grande se convirtio en un puerto commercial importante donde se transportaban pasajeros y mercancias desde el pueblo de New Orleans a traves de barcos que navegaban por el Rio Grande. Durante este tiempo el pueblo tamliien florecio como un centro de ganado vacuno.

El area de Rio Grande durante la historia fue sometida a varios incidentes, disputas fronterizas y algunas tensiones raciales, tal como la batalla de Juan Cortina en el año de 1859, el alboroto de 1888 en el cual la gente de habla hispana reacciono contra la oficina de el alguacil que era controlada por los anglosajones, el incidente donde unos soldados de la raza negra dispararon unos cañonazos hacia el pueblo en el año 1899 y varias confrontaciones entre los ciudadanos del pueblo y los soldados del fuerte Ringgold. Despues de estos incidentes los soldados fueron transferidos a otras partes del pais.
Details
HM NumberHM291I
Tags
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Wednesday, July 4th, 2018 at 1:01pm PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)14J E 517884 N 7082338
Decimal Degrees26.37893333, -98.82071667
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 26° 22.736', W 98° 49.243'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds26° 22' 44.1600" N, 98° 49' 14.5800" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)956
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling East
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 101 S Britton Ave, Rio Grande City TX 78582, US
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Nearby Markersshow on map
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. What year was the marker erected?
  9. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  10. This marker needs at least one picture.
  11. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  12. Is the marker in the median?