The southeast corner of the Nebraska panhandle was organized November 6, 1888 from a part of Cheyenne County. Deuel County has two incorporated towns, Chappell, the County Seat and Big Springs.
Before 1850 Teton Sioux Indians camped on the banks of the South Platte River, with their Chief Red Cloud.
California and Pony Express trails followed the Platte River into Colorado and up the Lodgepole Creek. Union Pacific Railroad reached Big Springs on 6/29/1867, using water from the spring in their steam locomotives until 1950.
Homesteaders built sod homes on the prairie, hauling water from the spring which never went dry even through dry years.
Natural gas production became an important industry. Major agricultural industries are wheat, cattle, corn, beets and beans.
The spirit that has presided over her destiny throughout her history as part of the frontier has been that of the pioneer.