The original memorial, unveiled on August 17, 1911, was dedicated to the humane efforts of Marie Diehl (1855-1907), a founder of the Frederick Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, now the Frederick County Humane Society.
The 12-foot tall monument depicted Hebe, the Greek goddess of youth and spring, and featured drinking fountains "for man and beast." In addition to a fountain for people, there was a large basin for horses and two on the sides for dogs and cats.
The bas-relief here portrays the original memorial where it stood at the corner of Church and Court Streets. And, in that monument's tradition, these fountains are "to furnish refreshing drink" to the citizens of Frederick and their beloved animal friends.