(Rotary Club of Lexington)
Established as the 3rd Rotary Club in Kentucky and 182nd in the world, it first met on June 23, 1915. The club had weekly meetings at the Phoenix Hotel until 1942. The 2015 centennial marked 100 years of "Service Above Self." The club has raised money for community and international service projects, as well as educational programs.
For 180 years, this location was the site of a hotel. In 1797, John Postlethwait opened a tavern and inn here, and, by the 1820s, it was known as the Phoenix Hotel.
A well-known landmark, it was popular with travelers and local citizens and was host to many distinguished visitors and events.
It closed in 1977 and was demolished in 1982.
Sponsored by the Rotary Club of Lexington
2016 * Kentucky Historical Society * Kentucky Department of Highways * 2488