Multiple structures have stood on the spot of Coren Apartments, named for Captain Issac Coren, who began his Army career in Colonel Henry Knox's Continental Artillery Regiment. In January 1777, General George Washington named Coren commander of the artillery laboratory at Carlisle. By the next year, Coren was commanding officer of a new artillery school at Carlisle. Some sources maintain it was the first school established by the Army.Donated by LTC Pam McGaha, PAARNG, AWC Class of 2011
It is unclear when the first building on this site was constructed. The initial building, serving as officers' quarters for the School of Cavalry Practice, may have burned in 1857 and then been rebuilt. At the end of June 1863, Confederate troops under brigadier General Albert Jenkins, followed by more led by Lieutenant General Richard Ewell, entered Carlisle. On 1 July Major General James Ewell Brown ("Jeb") Stuart and his cavalry arrived. When Union Brigadier General William F. Smith would not surrender, Confederates shelled the town and burned the barracks before heading to Gettysburg. The quarters on this site were rebuilt.
During the time of the Carlisle Indian Industrial School, 1879 to 1918, the building held offices for a time, but primarily served as a dormitory for teachers. Nurses of General Hospital No. 31 resided there next and then officers of the Medical
Field Service School from 1920 to 1946. It now contains five apartments.
In Honor of PFC Doyle L. McGaha Sr., WWII Veteran, 81st Infantry Division, 1941-1945
Eagle Scout Project by Timothy Loney, Troop 173
Research assistance from Jessica Sheets and the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center
Images from USAMHI, Personality Collection and Carlisle Barracks Collection