Built in approximately 1850, the Red House originally sat across the street from the Van Hoosen Farmhouse. The architectural style is Greek Revival and it appears that the existing structure, though very small, was built in three different phases, suggesting that the additions accommodated changes in family size.
Dr. Sarah Van Hoosen Jones purchased the home to serve as a tenant farmhouse, allowing her employees to live near the Van Hoosen Farm. Sarah had the house moved across the street, over the existing wall, and placed on a new foundation. It is unclear when the northern lean-to addition was added to accommodate a first floor bathroom and bedroom, but it occurred before the house was moved.
The City of Rochester Hills received the Red House as a gift from Michigan State University in December 1996. Since then, the building, which is on the National Register of Historic Places, has had a complete restoration.
In 1954, on a trip to Vermont, Sarah Van Hoosen Jones saw a house similar to this one painted bright red. In 1955 the "brown house" was moved a little north and west to its present location, modernized, and painted red. The fireplace and chimney were added at this time as well as the octagon-shaped window near the roof on the north side. Otherwise the exterior is the same.
Hoosen Farm Employee