This lantern and watchroom once made up the top 20 feet of the Sabine Bank lighthouse, which originally towered 72 feet above the water in the Gulf of Mexico.
The lighthouse was fabricated in Detroit, Michigan and shipped to Sabine by railway in 1904. After the cast iron plate caisson was partially assembled it was towed offshore and completed on a shallow shoal. On March 15, 1906, service began on the lighthouse, and it was manned until automated in 1923.
Located in Texas waters, it was named the 18-Mile Lighthouse by the Sabine pilots, that being the distance from their station, which was at that time on the channel due east of this park.
During WWII the lighthouse became a coastal outpost manned by the U.S. Coast Guard. After the war it was again automated and served as a navigational aid until it was declared obsolete and in 2002 contracted for removal. To preserve a part of maritime history, R.L. "Gabby" Eldridge and William D. "Bill" Quick acquired, refurbished, and placed this structure here in May 2004.