A brief history of Duncan Terrace Gardens
Duncan Terrace Gardens form an important link in the New River Walk series of green spaces. The New River was an open water conduit built in 1613 to bring drinking water from Hertfordshire to London.
"A white house with six good rooms, the New River runs close to the foot of the house" this is how Charles Lamb described his home at Colebrooke Cottage, now 64 Duncan Terrace. Lamb lived here from 1823 - 1827.
Duncan Terrace Gardens which drew its name from Admiral Duncan who commanded the fleet against the Dutch at the battle of Camperdown in 1797, first opened as public gardens in 1893, laid out by the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association for Islington Borough.
The gardens were transferred to Islington Council in 1951, who re-landscaped the garden and made it wider at the City Road end. In 2007, the council further developed the gardens to enhance the atmosphere that already existed by implementing environmentally sustainable landscaping. The mixture of trees, plants and shrubs have added colour and maximised the ecological assets of the gardens. The footpaths, seating and entrances were also enhanced for better accessibility.