Settlers from mountain provinces of Northern Italy began arriving in Montague in the early 1880s. The families of Barretto Raimondi, Jack Fenoglio, Antonio Perona and Charlie Corado were among the earliest here. By the early 1900s, there were as many as fifty Italian families. Most of these Italian immigrants were Catholic, and in 1901 they established St. John Catholic Church in Montague. The Most Rev. E.J. Dunne, Bishop of Dallas, bought three acres for a cemetery on April 28, 1900. The land was laid out in four sections surveyed into blocks, and Giroloma Vitali was the first burial in 1901. Gravestones exhibit Italian heritage as well as faamilies of German, Polish and Hispanic descent. More than 250 marked and unmarked graves are now recorded here.
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2016
Marker is Property of the State of Texas