Communities of Galveston County were established as follows:
was named following the 1900 storm for a British Tanker which ran aground there.
was given the Spanish Name, "High Ground," by a development company in 1893.
was named in 1886 after a city in Louisiana.
was founded in 1824 when John Dickinson purchased land from the Mexican Government. Stephen F. Austin and James F. Perry acquired leagues in April 1833.
was settled in 1895 by a colony of Quakers. They pioneered the county's fig industry and erected homes with characteristic gables.
on Bolivar Peninsula, is located on a salt dome and was named for its elevation of 47 feet.
, founded in 1915, was named for Gibb Gilchrist, later President of Texas A & M.
was settled in the 1840's. In 1848 Jonas Butler acquired a league of land on Hitchcock Bayou. Frenchmen later settled on the bayou and the community was named after Lent M. Hitchcock.
was named "Evergreen" about 1898, but in 1910 it was changed to Kemah, an Indian word meaning "facing the winds."
was first known as "Highland" and during the Civil War it
was Known as "Buttermilk Station," as soldiers stopped there to by buttermilk. The name was changed to La Marque in 1882.
was settled in the early 1800's by the Karankawa Indians. It was named after J.C. League by the first permanent citizens who came there by ox wagon from Louisiana in 1873.
was named by Warren D.C. Hall, a member of the Gutierrez-Magee Expedition in honor of Simon Bolivar, the liberator of South America.
was first known as Edwards Point & later N. Galveston. It took its present name in 1915.