—A City of Milton Historic Site —Formerly known as the Old Birmingham Hotel, the building was constructed by Thomas B. Newton, Jr. around 1865. It originally stood next to Hickory Flat Road, but was relocated here in 2007 to preserve it. The building served in numerous capacities over the years, including a boarding house for 'drummers' (traveling salesmen) and teachers at the nearby school, a livery stable and stagecoach stop, post office, convalescent center for wounded Confederate soldiers, and general store. The architectural style is folk hybrid, with elements of French Second Empire (roof) and Gothic Revival (gables).
|Placed By||The City of Milton, Georgia|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, June 3rd, 2018 at 7:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 745733 N 3783805|
|Decimal Degrees||34.16628333, -84.33420000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 34° 9.977', W 84° 20.052'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||34° 9' 58.62" N, 84° 20' 3.12" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||404, 678, 770|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 15800 Birmingham Hwy, Milton GA 30004, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.