—A City of Milton Historic Site —Joel Jackson (J.J.) Rucker (1880-1960) founded the Rucker Cotton Seed Company and subsequently built a cotton gin at this location, circa 1930. Farmers entered the rear of the gin with their wagonloads of cotton, where it was weighed, combed, washed and dried in a large centrifuge under the floor. The seeds were returned to the farmers for the next year's planting. Although the gin closed in 1950, the seed hopper remains on the property. The building has been home to a number of businesses since, including shops, offices, and a church pew manufacturer.
|Placed By||The City of Milton, Georgia|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, June 3rd, 2018 at 1:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 745548 N 3775390|
|Decimal Degrees||34.09051667, -84.33858333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 34° 5.431', W 84° 20.315'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||34° 5' 25.86" N, 84° 20' 18.9" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling West|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 810 Mayfield Rd, Milton GA 30009, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.