The garden contains remains of London Wall, the Roman and medieval defences of London including the west wall of the original Roman fort. When the defences went out of use, buildings encroached on the wall. Following WW2 bomb damage, 18th and 19th century buildings were partly removed revealing the Roman and medieval defences. It was decided to leave the remains visible at basement level to show the development of building from the Roman period and how the defences were incorporated into later buildings.
The Worshipful Company of Plaisterers was originally formed as a medieval trade guild to regulate the quality of plastering in the City of London and to safeguard the welfare and interests of plasterers. It received its first Royal Charter in 1501, Its current Hall (the fourth), built in 1972, opens onto the Jubilee Garden' established by the Company in 1977. Each year the Company presents a Jubilee Crown to the City of London Corporation as 'rent' for the Garden.
A wild flower meadow has been sown to encourage biodiversity of plants and wildlife and the garden now sustains over 70 different species of wild flower including at least 3 of the 9 'sacred' herbs of the Anglo-Saxons - Mugwort (Artensia Vulgaris), Nettle (Urtica) and Plaintain (Plantago).
Other key meadow species are Yellow Rattle
(Rhinanthus Minor), Ladies Bedstraw (Galium Verum), Black Medic (Medicago Lupulina) and Self Heal (Prunella Vulgaris).
To encourage and promote sustainability in the City there is a beehive in the garden maintained by beekeepers from the Worshipful Company of Wax Chandlers in collaboration with the Plaisterers' Company. The garden is a Site of Importance for Nature Conservation (SINC).