In 1914, the 15-inch gun was the newest, largest and most powerful of the big guns used in Royal Navy battleships. The gun was developed in 1912 for the new Queen Elizabeth class battleships and became the main armament in 22 ships. Each example weighs 100 tons (102 tonnes) and, at maximum range, could fire a l,938lb (876kg) shell a distance of 16 miles (29kms). The guns were installed in from of Imperial War Museum London in 1968.
The gun on the left was mounted in HMS Ramillies in 1916. It first saw action in 1920 during the Greco - Turkish War. Later, the gun was used against Italian land forces and warships in August and November 1940. Is was removed from HMS Ramillies in 1941.
The gun on the right mounted in HMS Resolution between1915 and 1938 and also saw service during the Greco - Turkish War. The gun was remounted in HMS Roberts , an important unit in the naval forces assembled for the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. On D-Day, Roberts bombarded Houlgate Battery, on the eastern edge of the Allied landing area. During the campaign, she shelled enemy positions around Caen. On 1 November 1944. Roberts supported the assault on the Dutch island of Walcheren, engaging a German battery near Westkapelle. The gun was removed in 1945.