This church was organized in 1881 under the Rev. E.R. Barcus as pastor. The congregation met at first in the Baptist Church building. Trustees Herbert J. Hudson, A.J. Pool, and H.C. Williams bought the site and supervised the construction of the sanctuary in 1886. It owes its distinctive architecture to plans that came form the home church of trustee Hudson, a native of Cambridge, England. A very devout Methodist Layman, Hudson came to Lorena in 1877 and operated a store and private bank. Bishop A.W. Wilson dedicated the fine original church in 1887.
Asphalt shingles have replaced the wooden roof; louvers that attracted nesting birds have been removed from the tower; and there have been other alterations. Stained glass windows now enhance the structure. A classroom annex erected in 1922 was joined to the sanctuary by another unit in 1950. The later additions have been in the style adopted in 1886. The annex is open to many public gatherings, as the congregation takes an interest in the civic life of Lorena. Besides the successive pastors, leaders in the work of this church have included members of the Hath, Holey, Hooper, Rucker, Stanford, and Stewart families.