Invasion Route Shipping Port, Fishing Center
—History of the Coast —
Harbor Activity Timeline
1982 First Harbor Day celebration. 1971 Last commercial fishing boat is sold. 1962 Lighthouse is re-lighted. 1960 Corps of Engineers builds Daniel Reed breakwall and pier. 1913 Trolley service ends. 1900 1870c Philimin Jackway starts fish oil business. 1855 Lighthouse is decommissioned. 1852 Commercial fishing begins in earnest. 1829 Lighthouse is built. 1818 First steamboat serves harbor. 1804 John McMahan builds mill. 1802 First settlers arrive in area. 1800 1753 French troops build portage trail. 1700 1679 First Europeans explore the harbor and creek. The Fishing Industry
Today's recreational fishermen go after perch and pike, but once there was a thriving commercial fishing industry. The catch included herring, whitefish, bass, suckers, and 50 pound sturgeon. Whitefish and ellpout were harvested for fish oil. Fishing Sailboat 1870s; Fishing Tug early 1900s; Modern Charter fishing boat. A Popular Spot
The first Europeans to land here were on a military mission to cut a route to Chautauqua Lake along an old Native American trail. Later the harbor became a thriving commercial port until the railroads took over. Today a vital fishing industry has given way to mostly recreational
use. [map] Note: Objects labeled with blue text no longer exist. Distances and relationships are not to scale in this artist's conception. McMahan Mills.
First settler and businessman John McMahan built a gristmill and sawmill on Chautauqua Creek. Government Breakwater (started in 1846 but never completed) Barcelona Company.
Local businessmen formed a company to serve their vision of a large commercial village. They built a hotel and five stores. Fishing camps and warehouses once lined the bay shore. Steamboat Landing.
The 'Fashion' and the 'Diamond' carried both passengers and freight. Harbor of Refuge.
A long-time dream came true when the breakwall and pier were built to provide a refuge for boaters. Breakwall. The 'Sea Lion'.
This ship is a replica of a 16th century sailing vessel that was built between 1971 and 1984. The ship sank in Lake Erie but was recovered, mounted here, and restoration began in 1999. [No longer present.] The Portage Trail.
French troops cut a wagon road to Chautauqua Lake and opened the Ohio Valley to invasion from Canada. [blue text] Button's Inn.
Built around 1823 to serve traffic along the portage route, this was the inn featured in the book 'Button's Inn'.
[blue text] The Barcelona Inn.
The grand inn, also known as Groat's Inn and Walker
Inn, served the bustling port for more than a century. The inn burned in 1961. [blue text] Chautauqua Traction Trolley.
A trolley station served passengers arriving at the northern terminus of the Inter-Lake Trolley Line. Barcelona Inn.
(Privately owned, please repect owners privacy.) Built in 1829 at a cost of $2,700, the tower is 40' high and 22' in diameter. The walls are 3½' thick at the base, tapering to 2' thick at the top. This lamp was fueled with gas, the first gas powered lighthouse in the world. Daniel Reed Pier.
A pier was originally sought to save the fishing industry, but it is a shift to recreational use that has revitalized the harbor. Seaway Trail harbors have attracted commercial activities since the arrival of the early explorers.