Church and Former Convent of San Buenaventura

Church and Former Convent of San Buenaventura (HM27LE)

Location: Salvatierra, Guanajuato 38900 Salvatierra
Country: Mexico

N 20° 12.938', W 100° 53.022'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 17 views
Inscription

Ruta de los Conventos - The Convent Route

Templo y Ex Convento de San Buenaventura(Templo de San Francisco)
Los primeros religiosos en llegar al Valle de Huatzindeo (o Guatzindeo), fueron los franciscanos, que provenían de comunidades ubicadas en Acámbaro, a finales del siglo XVI y principios de XVII. Ellos estuvieron a cargo de evangelizar a los grupos otomíes y chichimecas de la región, fundando las primeras doctrinas en los poblados de Urireo, Eménguaro y Guatzindeo. En este último lugar edificaron un pequeño establecimiento en el Cerro del Calvario, que subsistió hasta la secularización del curato, en 1767. Cuando se fundó el pueblo de Chochones, antecedente de Salvatierra, el curato quedó en manos franciscanas, quienes fundaron más tarde un pequeño hospital para indígenas.Así, cuando se fundó oficialmente la ciudad, los franciscanos fueron los primeros en comenzar a construir un templo y un convento en el año de 1645. Este recibió la advocación de San Buenaventura, terminándose su construcción en 1742. El área creció para transformarse en todo un complejo arquitectónico, que incluye no solo al Templo de San Buenaventura, sino también el Templo de la Tercera Orden, dedicado a San Antonio de Pádua, y colinda con el canal de Gugorrones. El Convento de San Francisco es, desde entonces, uno de los edificios más emblemáticos



de la ciudad. Cuenta con tres altares, siendo el mayor dedicado a la efigie de San Buenaventura, otro a la Purísma Concepción y el tercero al Señor de las Tres Caidas, del cual se dice tuvo una escultura en madera con un mecanismo que le permitía moverse. Durante la época de las Leyes de Reforma, el convento fue desalojado y perdió el techo, por lo que se quedó prácticamente en ruinas. Décadas más tarde se reconstruyó., para llegar a su actual apariencia. En el jardin del museo se encuentra una estatua de San Francisco de Asis, a la que los fieles atribuyen cualidades milagrosas.

English:
Church and Former Convent of San Buenaventura(Templo de San Francisco)
The first priests to reach the Valley of Huatzindeo (or Guatzindeo) were the Franciscans, who came from communities of Acámbaro, in the late XVI and early XVII centuries. They were in charge of evangelizing the Otomí and Chichimeca groups in the region, founding the first doctrines in the towns of Urireo, Eménguaro and Guatzindeo. In this last one, they built a small establishment on the hill of el Calvario, which survived until the secularization of the curacy, in 1767. Then, the town of Chochones was founded and named later Salvatierra; the parish was managed by the Franciscan order, who later founded a small hospital for the indigenous.So, when the



city was officially established, the Franciscans were the first ones to build a temple and a convent in 1645. It was dedicated to San Buenaventura, finishing its construction in 1742. The area grew to become an architectural complex, which includes not only the Temple of San Buenaventura, but also the Temple of the Tercera Orden, dedicated to San Antonio de Pádua, and adjoins the Gugorrones canal. The Convent of San Francisco has become one of the most emblematic buildings of the city. It has three altars, the largest dedicated to the effigy of San Buenaventura, another to the Purísima Concepción and the third one to the Señor de las Tres Caidas, which is said, that it is a wooden sculpture with mechanism that allowed it to move. During the time of the Laws of Reform, the convent was evicted and lost it's roof, so it was practically in ruins. Decades later, it was rebuilt to reach its current appearance. In the garden of the museum there is a statue of St. Francis of Assisi, to which the faithful ascribe miraculous qualities.
Details
HM NumberHM27LE
Tags
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Thursday, May 17th, 2018 at 10:01pm PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)14Q E 303197 N 2236461
Decimal Degrees20.21563333, -100.88370000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 20° 12.938', W 100° 53.022'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds20° 12' 56.28" N, 100° 53' 1.3199999999999" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling South
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 710 Calle J.M.Morelos Antigua, Salvatierra Guanajuato 38900, MX
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. What year was the marker erected?
  9. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  10. This marker needs at least one picture.
  11. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  12. Is the marker in the median?