Portal Juárez

Portal Juárez (HM27L3)

Location: Salvatierra, Guanajuato 38900 Salvatierra
Country: Mexico

N 20° 12.949', W 100° 52.888'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 13 views
Inscription

Ruta de los Conventos - The Convent Route

Portal Juárez
El edificio fue construido en 1743, cuando los carmelitas pidieron a la corona que se les autorizara la creación de un beaterio, el cual estuvo originalmente en un edificio anexo al templo. Con el tiempo, este edificio fue transformándose, fungiendo como Casa Real, es decir, donde se ubicaban los poderes de Salvatierra, especialmente el Cabildo. Su construcción culminó en 1808.Tras la Independencia el edificio fue transformando y se convirtió en la Presidencia Municipal. Durante la época de las Leyes de Reforma, la parte baja del edificio se transformó en el Portal Juárez, para honrar la gesta republicana.Fue aquí donde se discutió el escudo de la ciudad, en el año de 1828, con la aprobación del H. Congreso del Estado. El escudo tiene en el centro un campo acuartelado en cruz coronado regiamente y cuyo significado es el origen real de su fundación como Noble y Leal Ciudad de Salvatierra. Cada uno de los cuadrantes en que está dividido el óvalo representan, el superior derecho y el inferior izquierdo ostentan la Cruz de San Andrés con las iniciales S.A., en púrpura; el superior derecho representa al pueblo de San Andrés de los Chochones que es el antecedente como ciudad; y el cuadrante inferior izquierdo la fundación por Cédula Real como la Muy Noble y Leal Ciudad de San



Andrés de Salvatierra. El cuadrante superior derecho ostestenta tres atados o ases de trigo que representan los tres molinos de trigo que existieron en la ciudad, en sepia; el molino del Mayorazgo o de la Marquesa, el molino de la Esperanza y el molino de la Ciudad; y el cuadrante inferior izquierdo en oro, ostenta al puente de Batanes, nuestro principal monumento y joya colonial, y significa la unión del valle de Guatzindeo con la ciudad de Salvatierra.
English:
Juárez Portal
The building was constructed in 1743, when the Carmelite Order asked permission to the Spanish Crown to create a beguinage, which was originally annexed to the church building. Over time, this building was transformed, serving as Casa Real, where the political powers of Salvatierra, especially the Cabildo, was located. Its construction was completed in 1808. After the Independence movement, the building was altered and became the City Hall. During the time of the Reform Laws, the lower part of the building was changed into Portal Juárez, to honor the Republican quest. It was where the coat of arms of the city was discussed in 1828, with the approval of the State Congress. The city shield has in its center a quartered field formed in a cross and royally crowned, signifying the real origin of Salvatierra's foundation as a Noble and Loyal



City. Each of the quadrants in which it is divided, represents the right upper and the left inferior boast St. Andrew's cross with the initials S.A., in purple; the top right represents the town of San Andrés de los Chochones, predecessor of the city; the lower left quadrant the foundation by Royal Charter as the Very Noble and Loyal City of San Andrés de Salvatierra; the upper right quadrant holds three bundles of tied wheat representing the three flour mills that existed in the city, in sepia; the watermill of the Mayorazgo or the Marquesa, la Esperanza Mill and the City Mill; and the lower left gold quadrant holds the bridge of Batanes, our main monument and colonial jewel, showing the union of the Guatzindeo Valley with the city of Salvatierra.
Details
HM NumberHM27L3
Tags
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Thursday, May 17th, 2018 at 4:01pm PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)14Q E 303431 N 2236479
Decimal Degrees20.21581667, -100.88146667
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 20° 12.949', W 100° 52.888'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds20° 12' 56.94" N, 100° 52' 53.28" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling North
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 406 Calle Benito Juárez, Salvatierra Guanajuato 38900, MX
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. What year was the marker erected?
  9. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  10. This marker needs at least one picture.
  11. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  12. Is the marker in the median?