Swedish and German immigrants began to settle in this area in the 1890s. A post office was established in 1898, and by 1918 there were about 70 families in the area. The community, whose economy was based on cotton farming, consisted of homes, farms, a school, four cotton gins, a blacksmith shop, general store, and three Swedish churches with cemeteries. After a period of decline beginning in the 1930s. The school was consolidated with the Del Valle school district, and the churches disbanded. Renewed settlement and revitalization of the area began in the 1970s.